Not All Vehicles Have Insurance

smootherHave you ever thought about drivers of forklifts, a Cushman cart, Zambonis, road smoothers (like the one pictured, left), or other vehicles ?  What would happen if these motorized vehicles were involved in an accident ?

Would the driver’s own automobile insurance, purchased to protect him/her and his/her household in the event of a motor vehicle accident, cover such a crash?

No.  Most personal and family auto insurance policies only cover those vehicles made for the highways and byways, not those used only inside “big box retail stores” like Walmarts, K-Marts, BJs Wholesale, and warehouses, ice rinks or road repaving projects.

How then, are these drivers protected?  If injured in an accident while driving a Zamboni, forklift, etc., the worker may be protected by state Workers’ Compensation laws.

What if the drivers of these non-highway “motor vehicles” hit some innocent car or truck driver while behind the wheel ? Would their own personal motor vehicle coverage afford protection to these drivers and benefits to their victims ?  Again, probably not. Their employers’ General Liability Insurance would probably kick in as these are not motor vehicles designed to drive on the highways, and as such, are not expected to come into contact with cars and trucks on the streets.

Virginia workers’ compensation and car crash attorney Doug Landau advises anyone injured in an on-the-job accident to notify his or her employer of the incident, completing an incident report right away.  It is also wise to seek medical attention as soon as possible.

If you have been injured at work and/or in a motor vehicle accident, whether or not the vehicle is made for the roadways, and there are questions as to what laws apply, email or call Abrams Landau, Ltd. at once (703-796-9555).