Filing a Claim with the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission

Posted by:

If you have been injured at work and want to collect workers’ compensation benefits, you must file a claim with the Workers’ Compensation Commission (WCC) within two years from the date of your accident, unless the Commission has already entered an Award.  In the case of occupational disease, you must file within two years of when the doctor tells you you have a work-related disease.


Contrary to popular belief, simply filing a claim with your employer or your insurance company is not enough!

You must file with the WCC to protect your rights under the Workers’ Compensation Act.

How Do You File a Claim with Virginia WCC?

Complete the WCC Claim for Benefits which is available on the WCC website.  If you cannot access the form, you may also send a letter to the Commission which includes the following information:

  • Name, address, phone number of the Injured Worker
  • Name, address, phone number of the Employer
  • Date of Injury (or for disease, date the doctor informed you of a work-related disease or illness)
  • Body parts injured
  • Signature of Injured Worker

Mail the Claim Form or your letter to:

Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission

1000 DMV Drive

Richmond, VA  23220

Phone 877-664-2566

How Do You File for Additional WC Benefits?

If you have already received an Award, but it has ended, and you are seeking additional benefits, you must file a claim for the additional benefits with the WCC.  You may lose your right to some or all of the additional benefits if you do not pay attention to the time deadlines.  Contact WCC for more information.

If you or someone you know has been injured in an on-the-job incident and there are questions as to what laws apply, call or email Virginia workers’ compensation law firm Abrams Landau, Ltd. at once (703-796-9555).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.