Negligent construction and unmended leaks in the windows can let moisture in to your house, allowing toxin-producing mold to grow and spread. A Loudoun jury recently awarded a family harmed by mold in their own home $4.75 million, among the largest awards in a mold case in Virginia. The defendant home construction company had not allowed the house’s frame to dry before installing drywall, according to the Washington Post article. This created perfect conditions for mold to thrive all over the house.
The plaintiffs had been experiencing health problems that seemed to dissipate when they were away from home. They finally visited a who specializes in illnesses caused by water-damaged buildings. They were advised that mold and other microbes in the house had produced toxins that made them sick. At trial, Loudoun County Circuit Court jurors said the home’s builder was negligent and had violated the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. The jury’s verdict indicated that they believed that the company was responsible for the couple’s health problems. At ABRAMS LANDAU, we have worked on “sick building syndrome” and toxic injury cases. If you believe that you or your family or co-workers have been injured by negligent building, repair or toxic substances, contact us today.