If the driver who smashes into me has no insurance and no money, does that mean I get nothing ?

Not necessarily.  If you have your own auto coverage, or are covered under another member of your household’s policy, you may have “UNinsured Motorist” coverage.  This type of insurance is generally mandatory for Virginia drivers.  This insurance may enable you to collect against your own insurance policy.  Your insurance company can then go against the negligent Defendant to try and recover its money in a “subrogation action.”  SO, just because you may have been hit and injured by a deadbeat with no insurance, do not dispair, there may still be other coverage available to help you and your family to recover from your injuries.  At ABRAMS LANDAU, Ltd., we review our own clients’ insurance contracts in order to find coverages and protections that can assist them after a car crash.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *